NEW YORK, NY – Over 30 students in the Truman Media program took part in a special annual event at the New York headquarters of ABC News and The Walt Disney Company. The “Get Reel With Your Dreams” program held its annual Inside Track workshop on Saturday, May 14th. This year marks the 6th for the media program.
“Every year, the program gets better, and the students get more excited,” according to Media teacher Mr. Dave Roush. “They hear stories from their classmates who went before them and they can’t wait to experience it for themselves.”
The program, conceived by ABC 7 Eyewitness News anchor Sade Baderinwa, is designed to motivate and inspire young people to dream big – and make the connections needed to achieve those dreams. Students met and interacted with 17 professionals including ABC Nightline host Juju Chang, movie critic Sandy Kenyon, ABC News network correspondent Marci Gonzalez, and a long list of others.
The event was held at the ABC headquarters in Manhattan. Students started the day by hearing inspirational stories of how each pro got their start. Then, the panel took a round of questions from the students before breaking off into a series of nearly 20 unique and engaging workshops.
The workshops covered a wide range of subjects including live news reporting, commercial directing, make-up and styling, acting, photography, broadway show production and many more. At the end of the day, students shared what they learned and how they were inspired.
As part of the program, students will also compete in a 30-second public service announcement video contest. A total of $50,000 in prize money will be given away to the top finishers. Last year, then Truman junior Oscar Anzora and his team won first place, taking home $12,000 in prize money. In 2011, then Truman sophomores Ian Denton and Ernesto Gonzalez took home first place, and a check for $12,000. The following year, then seniors Renaldo and Shenell Campbell won 3rd place and $5,000 cash.
“That money can mean the difference between a kid being able to go to college – or not,” Roush said. “And we have proven that we have what it takes to win, so I can’t stress enough to the students how important this contest is.”
The Get Reel With Your Dreams workshop event and PSA scholarship awards are underwritten by the The Walt Disney Company. It is open to high school students from across the tri-state area.
Here’s a full list of the professional industry insiders the students worked with:
- Sade Baderinwa – Anchor – ABC Eyewitness News
- Josh Einiger – Reporter – ABC Eyewitness News
- Juju Chang – Emmy-award winning co-anchor – ABC News Nightline
- Sandy Kenyon – Movie critic – ABC Eyewitness News
- Jim Dolan – Reporter – ABC Eyewitness News
- Bridgette Maney – ABC Entertainment Group
- Tracey Moore – Hollywood casting director and acting coach
- Marci Gonzalez – Network news correspondent – ABC News
- Kristie Gonzales – Promotion and Digital Brand Manager – WABC-TV
- Hal Aronow-Thiel – Creative Director – ABC News
- Rowena Husbands – Celebrity photographer
- Unique London – Professional makeup artist
- Keely Bembry- Clothing Stylist, Keely B. Styles
- Gillian Doupe – Promotions Coordinator – Allied Integrated Marketing